Monday, October 7, 2013

Return from What? Where?

It has been about 5 months since I have written. A few loyal readers have gently nudged me to start writing again -- so affirming! Thank you. It has been a long and weird five months. I probably won't go into much detail ...  Though, if you read my blog, you know I'll probably bare a lot more soul than you expect and you'll love me anyway, surprised that anyone could be so stupid as to tell such truths! Hmm.

I don't want to write. I don't want to do much of anything. I am seriously in a slump. I do cook -- and I cook good stuff! I may be lazy and unmotivated, but tasty food is very important. As winter approaches, I'm back to conjuring-up my miscellaneous soups and stews -- sauces and grains -- and have a few quarts of deliciousness in the freezer, just waiting for thawing day. Tonight ... probably a flash sauté of broccoli, zucchini and kale -- incomplete without the onion and garlic. To quote a good friend (and a slow and dirty cook, rather than a quick and dirty cook) "The chopping is therapeutic." Now I'm hungry.

"Return from Exile" ... a sequel to "Reluctantly Uncleaving," I guess.   (http://reluctantlyuncleaving.blogspot.com/2012/09/its-all-so-new.html)  Why the title? I've been contemplating a continuation for a while. My first idea for a name was "Returning from Sabbath" or "Return from Sabbatical." But when I really considered the meaning of Sabbath and Sabbatical, it just wasn't right. Taking a sabbatical or recognizing a Sabbath is VOLUNTARY. What I have been experiencing was definitely not my choice! In contemplating these ideas with the slow and dirty cook, the word "exile" was catapulted into my consciousness by that pesky Holy Spirit. Exile ...

ex·ile  [eg-zahyl, ek-sahyl] noun   1. expulsion from one's native land by authoritative decree; 2. the fact or state of such expulsion: to live in exile; 3. a person banished from his or her native land; 4. prolonged separation from one's country or home, as by force of circumstance.
 
So ... if one's "native land" (home) happens to be their marriage, then the death of my husband basically expelled me.  And prolonged is forever, right?  Ugh.
 
As I struggle with this phase of my "grief journey," <gag> I do try to snap out of it from time to time.  I'm scoffing at myself as I write this.  Physically making that quasi-snorting sound and rolling my eyes.  All my attempts have been so stinking futile.  I'll tell you about one of them. 
 
"Bewildered but Not Lost" was the name of a keynote address at an event called "Seminary for a Day," held at Union Presbyterian Seminary in Richmond a couple weekends ago.  (I think it's fair to say that another sweet friend felt quite smug that I attended in that she's been "telling" me to go to seminary for a long time now.)  I didn't "go" to seminary, but did enjoy the day.  Anyway, "Bewildered but Not Lost" was a presentation regarding the greater church, but I identified with it personally on some levels.  I know I'm not lost.  Too many people are watching over me/watching out for me -- loving me, praying for me, spending time with me ... but bewildered is a really great word.  I wish I could remember to use it more frequently.  It's such a simple, straightforward, basic word!
 
be·wil·dered  [bih-wil-derd] adjective  completely puzzled or confused; perplexed.
 
This is how I feel about many people and many situations in my life.  Completely puzzled, confused -- perplexed.  How did I land here?  Almost 50 and alone.  In a house that badly needs to be painted.  Sad.  Unmotivated.  Yet loved and blessed.  And seemingly continuously shaking my head at the words, choices and actions of so many people.  Are they, too, bewildered?  or are they truly lost!?  I mean, seriously ... who would chose to be mean or bitter or isolated when they could be loved, be kind and be in someone else's midst?
 
Anyway, I digress a little, but it was worth it.  Exile.
 
The keynote speaker likened today's Christians to Jewish exiles of the Old Testament, as interpreted by Walter Brueggemann (American Protestant Old Testament scholar and theologian) -- "The exiled Jews of the OT were of course geographically displaced. More than that, however, the exiles experienced a loss of the structured, reliable world which gave them meaning and coherence, and they found themselves in a context where their most treasured and trusted symbols of faith were mocked, trivialized, or dismissed. Exile is not primarily geographical, but it is social, moral and cultural." 
 
This statement took me aback.  It slapped me in the face in yet another one of those unexpected affirmations -- this time of the choice of "exile" as basis for this continuation of my blog.  Though I have not [yet] been thrust into a Bailey "Diaspora," I do feel displaced:  emotionally, spiritually, mentally -- and, yeh, somewhat physically.  Very physically, if you please.  I lost the structure of my reliable world -- the world of being part of a marriage -- of a household -- which certainly gave my life great meaning and coherence.  Gone.  Poof.  And, actually, my children have been sort of "scattered!"  I wouldn't go as far as to say that my most treasured and trusted symbols of faith have been mocked, trivialized or dismissed ... but ... I have been displaced socially and culturally (the moral part would be defined by my own choices, I think). 
 
So just how does one RETURN from such a place?  Good question.  Do you have any suggestions?  I mean, I've dabbled in this and that.  I make myself get up, get dressed, go out, be amongst people even when I don't have to.  I do my dishes.  I stay current with my social media and try to be pertinent and sometimes even a little funny.  I definitely stay in tune with my kids -- I have mailed cookies and Halloween goodies to the college, as I often do.  I see friends.  I drove 150 miles all by myself to attend the Seminary for a Day, for Pete's sake!  I have even gone out on a few dates (ugh).  I have recently endured the excruciating process of weeding through contractors and estimates to have my house painted and the requisite landscaping work accomplished.  And I'm sitting here writing this entry.  But every single voice in my head is telling me to quit and go to bed.  This is a difficult, arduous return.  It  feels like it is only getting more and more challenging!  Is that a third year of the bereavement thing?  It should be getting better, right?  I've entered my fourth year.  But, goodness, would making such an assumption be "mocking, trivializing or dismissing" my exile?  I wonder ...
 
I read a book entitled, "Get Out of that Pit -- Straight Talk about God's Deliverance," by Beth Moore, an American evangelist, author, and Bible teacher.  Boy did I relate to her "pit."  I read this book YEARS AGO.  Way back when we were fighting brain cancer and David was travelling extensively -- I was in my pretty pit.  But I climbed out and was doing okay for a long time.

And then I was exiled again.

I have truly found a home here, in my pit -- all comfy and cozy with a soft sofa (or bed), a nice TV and DVD player (Roku) -- slippers, comfort food, phone (with texting and facebook), gentle lighting and the heavy breathing of my devoted dog.  I have moved back in.  I am solidly back in exile, but this time I voluntarily descended that ladder.  I thought I had climbed out -- little by little these last couple years.  (Remember, if you will, the spread wings and taking steps off into whatever of one of my last entries in "Reluctantly Uncleaving.")  But I guess I never really made it all the way out with my hair blowing in the winds of recovery.  I thought I had found liberation sometime over the last couple years, but I was wrong -- or fooled -- or delayed.  One step up, two steps back ... down the ladder into my comfy, cozy pit that I have decked-out with pretty curtains and soft pillows.  I'm a little embarrassed.  And I know ...

I have to do it all over again:  Climb on back out ... rung by rung.  I have another freaking journey to make.  To return from exile, whether it be by force or voluntarily.
 
So, will you join me on this new leg of my journey?  It might get tiresome!  I know it is for me!  Thank you, Beloved, for walking beside me.  I really need some good company!

5 comments:

  1. So glad you're writing again! I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. always with you in spirit Les...don't EVER down yourself for doing what you need to do in your own TIME...praying always, of course, my friend <3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear your words.... and to relate to them in a completely different set of circumstances. I entered a world of autoimmune disease 8 yrs ago... was only diagnosed about 3 years ago, but it is a life long journey. I allowed myself to wallow in self pity and exile for a while. And then I spent one and a half years climbing up out of the pit and learning how to take care of myself again so that I could be better for my family. I became healthy. I cared about eating healthy and exercising and being my best for my children and my husband. Then out of nowhere I had back surgery again. Beaten down lhysically and forced to start iver at swuare one. And to a certain extent I have kept up my healthy lifestyle. But sometimes I feel myself allowing my brain into a mental exile. I don't want to be there again, but it's hard not to feel defeated. So although we are on completely different journeys, I do understand a little bit of what you are talking about. And it us encouraging to read your words and know that I am NOT alone in my struggles, even if they are different. Many hugs to you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Leslie. I, too, am glad you are writing again and that I stumbled over your FB post among the many. It's been almost (next month!) 13 years for me and I find these days that I've been up and down...and up and down... and up and down... that same ladder. There are days that I truly feel like the universe itself completely shifted and altered the day Jet died. The reality is, I believe, that it truly and completely did shift and alter that day... for me. MY universe was up-ended and I was flung out like the sand when we shake out the beach towel at the beach after a lovely day. There have been days when I feel like I finally landed and life was (finally) moving forward and days when I still feel I am in that prolonged free-fall. I, too, find I voluntarily climb back down the ladder to my very comfy recliner with my soft, purring kitties and, for those moments, feel somewhat safe and secure and content to be there.... and desperately wanting that to be 'enough' so I don't have to climb up and try again and peek out when venturing out for various adventures.. so-called.... or purposes, better word, seem to be terribly exhausting and, yes, bewildering. Just today... really!... just today, as I was in yet another new kitchen (really hope this is the last one I need to get to know!), I found myself wondering what would my life had been like had he NOT died so suddenly and unexpectedly... what would he be like, what would I be like, what would WE be like... NOW. Would it really be as idealistically wonderful and safe and secure and perfect as I imagine it would be? It's comforting to think it might be, but my logical (argh!) mind knows that events in people's lives seldom are wonderful and safe and secure. I only have to recall that Andrew will be 21 next month... that 13 years ago he had just ... just.... turned 8 when his dad died. He's now not known Jet as 'dad' longer than he knew him at all. It is bewildering... to think that Andrew doesn't have to same point of reference I do in my memories of Jet. As widows, we just keep trying. We get up, we get dressed, and go about our days. And we sometimes climb back down the ladder. And that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie,
    I will walk beside you, figuratively and literally, as you make your ascent one more time. We've been walking together for more than 10 years now, right? You can do this. We all have those days, months, even years, and we all just keep on going one way or the other when times get hard -- even when that coziness you talk about sounds so inviting. A lot has changed since David died. Now both your children have grown the most amazingly beautiful wings, thanks to you! You're doing a great job one step, one rung, at a time. As always, you've got style. Love you!

    ReplyDelete